Constipation can be much more than just slow bowel movements. As per Ayurveda, constipation is a signal of Vata imbalance and blockage of channels. A patient with depression or rheumatoid arthritis usually has constipation as associated symptom. A patient with migraine can also have constipation. Relieving constipation can contribute to relief in migraine and depression as well, in some cases.
Causes of Constipation
- Intake of food possessing dry, light, rough qualities. Any food that causes dryness of mouth, lightness in the body and roughness in skin.
- Excessive consumption of pungent, astringent and salt foods
- Night awakening
- Less intake of water
- Working in strong sunlight, long walk, heavy travelling
- Sitting at a same place for a very long time
- Lack of sufficient fibers in diet
Symptoms of Constipation
- Indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Abdominal pain
- Pain at the anus while defecating
- Heaviness of body
- Lack of appetite
- Acid eructation (belching)