Gout is a metabolic disease which primarily affects the joints and hence is called GOUTY ARTHTRITIS. It occurs as a result of improper metabolism of a type of amino-acid called purines. Purines are very essential to the body as they form an integral part of the DNA. When purines are broken down in the body uric acid is produced. When either the production of uric acid is excessive or the excretion is deficient, Uric acid level in the blood is increased. When this happens over a period of time, Sodium urate, a sodium salt of uric acid id formed and it crystalizes and gets deposited in joints triggering an inflammation. This condition is called Gouty Arthritis. The most common site of occurrence of Gouty Arthritis is the great toe, but it can also affect the hands and other joints.
Causes Of Gouty Arthritis
Gout is an inheritable disease which primarily affects the male gender. It may be predominantly due to excessive consumption of food materials which generates uric acid or incapability of the kidneys to excrete them.
- The food items which tend to generate increased amounts of uric acid are usually rich sources of protein like meat, black beans, cauliflower, Cottage cheese and all kinds of meat and animal products.
- Consumption of excessive amounts of alcohol.
- In cases where kidneys do not function properly.
- Other causes include dehydration and starvation.
Symptoms Of Gouty Arthritis
- The first symptom seen will be a sudden onset of a hot and painful swelling and the swollen joint will be stiffness as well.
- There will be severe joint pain on touch.
- Usually it manifests in the knee joint, toes and the ankle joint but over a period of time if left untreated it affects multiple joints and becomes a chronic condition.